Blackened Cod with Meuwly’s Cajun Spice Rub
by Peter Keith– Owner Meuwly’s
Cod Fillets, Patted Dry (Rockfish would be a great alternative)
Meuwly’s Cajun Spice Rub
Fresh Garlic Cloves, Crushed
Fresh Parsley or Cilantro, Roughly Chopped
- Ensure the fish is dry on the outside (this helps it sear properly.)
- Sprinkle several tablespoons of Cajun Spice Rub into a plate or shallow bowl.
- Press each side of the fish into the spice mix, rubbing gently until the fish is lightly covered.
- In a shallow frying pan, heat a small amount of Canola Oil over medium-high heat ( 15-30 mL for a large pan)
- Carefully place the fish into the pan – the oil should sizzle (if not, remove the fish and continue to pre-heat the pan.)
- Sear both sides of the fish to your desired doneness – the spices should toast to a dark red-brown.
- Add 1-2 small cubes of cold butter and crushed garlic to the pan and baste over the fish for the last 30 seconds of cooking
- Finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and chopped fresh herbs.